Each week I check out FeedFliks to see which classic films will be on Netflix's Watch Instantly feature, which I love! FeedFliks (which is free) tells you what has just arrived on Watch It Now, what is coming soon (and when) and what will be expiring soon. This means you can be sure to see things before they go back to the DVD only option. What a great tool!
Once per week, I like to take the extensive list provided by FeedFliks and pull out the classic films and other notable films from those three categories. This makes it even easier for the classic movie buff to find the good stuff on Netflix.
Expiring Soon from Watch Instantly:
- My Lucky Star with Sonia Henie, 1938 (expires 4/30)
- Jane Eyre with Orson Welles, 1944 (expires 4/30)
- Calamity Jane with Doris Day and Howard Keel, 1953 (expires 5/1)
- Batman with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson, 1989 (expires 5/1)
- Grumpier Old Men with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon (but more importantly Anne-Margaret and Sophia Loren), 1995 (expires 5/1)
Just Arrived to Watch Instantly:
- Children of the Century with Juliette Binoche, 1999
Coming Soon to Watch Instantly:
- Double Indemnity with Barbara Stanwyck, 1944 (arriving 5/6) Highly recommended!
- Blue Velvet with Isabella Rossellini by David Lynch, 1986 (arriving 5/15)
- Working Girl with Melanie Griffith, 1988 (arriving 4/30)
- My Left Foot with Daniel Day-Lewis, 1989 (arriving 5/1)
- The Crow with Brandon Lee, 1994 (arriving 5/1)
- Pulp Ficton with John Travolta, 1994 (arriving 5/1)
- Swingers with Vince Vaughn, 1996 (arriving 5/1)
- Chocolat with Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp, 2000 (arriving 5/1)
- Malena with Monica Belluci, 2000 (arriving 5/1)
- Iris with Judy Dench and Kate Winslet, 2001 (arriving 5/1)
- The Shipping News with Kevin Spacey, 2001 (arriving 5/1)
- Sin City with Clive Owen, 2005 (arriving 5/1)
My definition of classic movies is broad. Although this blog focused on movies from the beginning of film history to about 1960, I believe that any movie can be considered "classic". Classic films, in my opinion, have a quality about the story that transcends the decade in which it was made. It is my belief that classic is a term that defines the film canon and classic films rise above many other films produced in quality. Also, since this is a fashion blog as well as a movie blog, I include films that are particularly interesting from a visual or design perspective (such as Sin City) or that teach us something important about fashion or beauty (such as Grumpier Old Men).
If you don't already have a Netflix subscription you can start one with a free trial. It is only $7.99 per month to have full access to all of the Watch Instantly movies an television shows, including thousands of classic films. I have used Netflix since 2003 and the Watch Instantly feature since 2006. I wouldn't dream of cancelling my subscription, no matter how tight money gets. It gives back so much to me culturally that the fee is negligible.
Instantly watch unlimited TV episodes & movies over the Internet right on your TV, computer and various mobile devices. Watch as much as you want, as often as you want for only $7.99 a month. Start your free trial today!